Arvind Bhatnagar

Advisor, Transport, IPRCL

A 1982 batch officer of the Indian Railway Traffic Service, Arvind Bhatnagar, advisor, transport, Indian Port Rail and Ropeway Corporation Limited (IPRCL) has over 35 years of experience in the planning and execution of rail and port terminal infrastructure projects, and providing multimodal logistics business solutions to corporate customers. IPRCL is a first-of-its-kind joint venture between the major ports and Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL). The special purpose vehicle is funded by 11 major ports (all except Cochin) which contribute 90 per cent of the equity, while RVNL contributes the remaining 10 per cent.

As advisor, transport, a position that Bhatnagar has held since 2016, he is responsible for looking after the traffic and logistics planning of rail infrastructure projects for the major and non-major ports, public sector undertakings and private freight terminals. He is also responsible for business development and the advertising works of the corporation. During the past three years, IPRCL has undertaken the implementation of a number of projects related to the development of rail infrastructure, modernisation and last-mile connectivity, besides the development of ropeways and other modern transit systems.

Bhatnagar started his career as operations manager in Mumbai looking after goods and passenger traffic and was senior divisional commercial manager, Jaipur division, Western Railway. He has held a number of positions at Container Corporation of India Limited – group general manager (operations), western region, Mumbai; chief general manager, western region, Mumbai; chief executive officer, Gateway Terminals India Private Limited; executive director, western region, Mumbai; and director, domestic marketing.

Bhatnagar holds a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and electronics from the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, and a management degree in marketing and operations research from the Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi. He has taken a number of professional courses such as training on railway safety management by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency and training on ports by the Antwerp/Flanders Port Training Centre, Belgium. He has also participated in international conferences including one on intermodal transportation in Spain, in 2015, where he presented a paper on intermodalism in India; and in the NHRDN Advanced Leadership Programme, Shanghai, China, also in 2015.

GET ACCESS TO OUR ARTICLES

Enter your email address