Increased power availability
- Shortages in energy and peak power supply have decreased significantly over the past two decades or so.
- While energy shortages have declined to 0.5 per cent in 2022-23 from 6 per cent in 1998-99, peak shortages have come down to 4 per cent from 14 per cent during this period.
Growth in installed capacity
- The total installed power capacity in India stands at 416 GW, as of March 2023.
- Thermal power dominates the capacity mix with 57 per cent share, followed by renewables with 30 per cent share.
- Renewables have witnessed impressive growth over the years, largely in the solar power space.