National highway network development
- The total national highway network has grown at a CAGR of about 4 per cent over the past two decades. The systematic push through the corridor-based approach has contributed to this growth.
- National highways currently constitute about 2 per cent of the overall road network, but carry over 40 per cent of the total traffic.
Pace of construction
- The current rate of road construction is almost three times that in 2007-08.
- The launch of the Bharatmala Pariyojana in 2017 provided a big fillip to construction activity, with the pace of construction doubling from 12 km per day in 2014-15 to 30 km per day in 2022-23, and peaking at 37 km per day in 2020-21.
- The government aims to take this up to 100 km per day in the next few years.