Grant of Rs 5.15 billion for Sagar port approved

The central government has given in-principle approval to a grant of Rs 5.15 billion for the development of Sagar port in West Bengal. The grant has been given to make the project financially viable. An SPV, Bhor Sagar Port Limited, has been incorporated for project implementation, with the Kolkata Port Trust holding 74 per cent equity and the West Bengal government holding the remaining 26 per cent. The Indian Institute of Technolog, Madras, has been engaged to prepare the detailed project report for the port, involving studies for shore protection, land reclamation and physical modelling for the use of dredged material.